Re: Why is there a holy country anyway ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_z1IOCTz5S12aPZ4E7yTmTJUJ63bxHHqtJF2w9zUeV8ONisnVzZw6chX9GvUjY8jDSIg>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:26:24 +1200

On 8/27/2010 8:12 AM, hcarteau_at_Fbxq4lpR61f-woi0t1MCSkjuDIxCxxblJXtZ7X1rddR1oFKgQhChjKtqCz26AnfcsOVWY8Ei8HGj.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Is [Belintar] clearly a God (theist) or are there other parts of him
> ? I remember seeing a sorcery school in MoLaD which studies His
> works, so he's also an Essence somewhere.

The School of Ronos Allwinds was a common magic cult rather than a sorcery school. I dunno how such cults would be treated generally in HQ2.

As for Belintar; Esrolia the Land of 10,000 goddesses states that of the six goddesses of the land, one is actually a spirit (Mirrorsea) and another is an essence from God Forgot. So yes, you can have Shamans and Sorcerors of the Living God.

> What kind of Magic does he provide his worshippers with, if he does,
> in your opinion ?

Examples of Pharaonic Cults would be the Order of Hepherones and the School of Ronos Allwinds (both mentioned in MoLaD).

The main difference between Pharaonic Cults and ordinary cults in my thinking is that ordinary cults get their magic from the Gods, Saints and Spirits while Pharaonic Cults get their magic from the Holy Realm, the magical shadow of Kethaela. People and temples may worship both approaches or focus on one or the other.

Pharaonic Magic would be like a clan wyter (see Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes), save that it can be modified with visits to the Holy Realm. I'm dabbling with the idea that the Masters of Luck and Death have their own pharaonic wyters.

--Peter Metcalfe