Re: CULTS OF BELINTAR

From: Jeff <richaje_at_SWU8CQm8U4ibMdxlzZB7qeLCUN5BkY7mfm0hPQemYX9zxebrijxn4ui444o75Zd21DTl>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:07:11 -0000

> /// That's interesting. So when you invoke the name of Belintar, HE might answer
> personally and grant the boon you seek by "Divine Intervention". Perhaps there
> are no limits about what He can do, as long as it's in the Holy Country or the
> Holy Realm, its magical shadow.

I certainly wouldn't use the old RQ Divine Intervention rules for this! More likely there are certain known ceremonies that involve Belintar where he does something (like grant magical power to his governors or enables transport on his magical roads and bridges). Or Belintar personally does something like when he grew the Building Wall. He's a living god - plenty powerful and capable of showing up personally and doing things.

> I see such magics as only possible for important occasions, with lengthy rituals
> and lots of community support. You don't invoke Belintar's name to Bladesharp
> your spear before a fight, but a General might invoke him, with the whole army's
> support, so that he helps them to be victorious. The Building Wall is an
> exemple.

Or perhaps Belintar is there and present at the battle. He doesn't fight (at least not normally) but he can do pretty remarkable stuff.

> There seem to be no contradiction between being an initiate / devotee /
> practitionner / adept of other religions AND a member of a Belintar sect at the
> same time. So you have esvulari watchers, volcano caladralander clan chiefs or
> shamen of the mirrorsea who also are loyal Belintar cultists and ask for His
> miracles.

You don't worship Belintar to get stuff from him - you worship him because he is a Living God, the ruler of the Holy Country. You want to keep him happy (and he keeps the Sixths together, enemies out, and does all sorts of other good things).

> /// A final question. Now Belintar is gone, He does not perform any "Divine
> Interventions" anymore. What are his priests left with ? I guess many just left
> his cults ; only the most loyal, such as Sinomen, are still around and looking
> for him. And their magics are much reduced. Unless Belintar, knowing what was to
> happen to him, left behind spare "power cells" for his faithful. Said "power
> cells" are reachable by understanding Belintar's Book.

Belintar is not present any more so his priests have something of a quandry.

Jeff