Rules not Tools : how to handle a specific type of contest

From: hcarteau_at_VopzF76CtahJHfUlYpGc7HBsrtBq1EmA4fXJW5M8R5zDgiQMHvgXvvI5Oo1Duem6XRu
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 21:15:38 +0200

Honored Folks,

There's one type of contest I haven't been able to manage to my taste so far : an extended contest of all PCs united against a single, powerful foe. Think
"X-Men vs. Magneto" or "FF vs. Dr. Doom".

Each PC "attacks" and inflicts or loses RP. The first SIDE which "loses" or
"takes" 5 RP loses. The level of defeat is determined by the difference between
RP inflicted and RP lost. That's fine and well, but...

... what happens when all PCs focus / gang up on a single, super opponent ? It's easy to do for a single contest, but how to do this with an extended contest, the one at the end of 5-6 hours of play when PCs have a showdown with the hated arch-ennemy ?

Any ideas ?