Re: How did Xentha do to cover the world every night ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ep6MAl8Buy-Ygc0m6g65X0jTWYs9kipUmbesYRJly52YFXWOekoCsi7H7B9TjBarZfv>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:16:01 +1200

On 9/12/2010 5:54 AM, hcarteau_at_jXYqlXigWhlX9gd9b7bZV4h64pRr1xF-vwKwR_t6Uqpa9kNpFaH92Mi0OsdUjxICuVZedcDF4K0XzIY.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> More specifically, I'd like to figure out how Anilla did help Xentha to cover
> the world, so that Xentha did allow her to shine at night in return.

> I think Xentha is NO sky goddess. She's a huge wave of Darkness that blocks the
> lands and seas from direct sky/sunlight. Still, it is pierced in many places by
> stars. I do not remember how it came to be that she can do this half of the
> time. Wasn't it part of the Great Compromise, so the Uz would allow the return
> of Burning Death to the skies ?

There were nights before the Great Darkness. The Dara Happan deity of night is Netta who was known to them _before_ the Golden Age ended. The Uz do believe that Night was an invention of the Great Compromise but they were living in the Underworld before the Storm Age and had no way of knowing what life was like on the surface.

So what was nighttime before then? I think the simplest answer is that the Sun withdrew behind the Sky (as opposed to going into the Underworld). The Sky was already distant from the earth then and so Night could rise up from the Underworld into the lower heavens and blanket the earth. Planets and cities on the sky were bright enough to pierce the gloom.

What the Blue Moon did was to help the Seas into the Sky so that the Sky Dome was blue rather than gold. That made the nights stronger.

--Peter Metcalfe