On Ompalam and Tenuous Links?

From: Sean Foster <ebaninth_at__ACh6Fj1PMPT6rizfttskCQeN_dM54IdhRnM9fPDGjd1rsBAGedtrV-mw5twbp3GURw>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:17:44 +0800

Reading about Ompalam (MRQ2) last night, having earlier watched Disney's Aladdin, an interesting idea stuck me.

As per the art in Men of the Seas the area of Fonrit (Ompalan Territory) and Kareetshu seem to have a Arabic/ North African feel.

Since Ompalam is quite keen on the whole slavery thing, it ties in quite well with the 'RW' Arabic world Genie myth(s). Bound as they are into a lamp seems to tie in with the whole ompalan slavery vibe.

Looking up Wikipedi RW Genies (so to not rely on my D&D background) seem to be Arabic/Islamic Spirits Jinn; with some examples being Shayan, ghul, marid, ifrit & jinn. In D&D genie are associated with the 4 elements, Djinn
> Air; Marid >Water; Efreeti > Fire & Dao (/Shaitan[Paizo]) > Earth + Jann a
lesser type.

Further, Justeli Emanational Sorcey Order (popular in 2nd Age? Pamaltela) seems to have been really into controlling runes thru demonic allies (MRQ2-CoG). Ie they are keen in binding erasanchula to keep them under control? Geneis of each of the elements.

Sounds all very Mostali with them trying to reduce entropy. Anyway, they could be (have been) very into bind certain types of Gloranthan (other planar) spirits to help their empire. Binding Marids would have helped with issues with the Waetagi, and the Djinni could be of use against the Orlanthi and the Efreeti against the Solar cults. ie They were busy collecting WMD's [energy sources] for use against the EWF.

I'm sure someone can put this together in a more organized waay, but its seems some nice fruit to add to these areas of Pamaltela.

I quite like the fact that God Learners's (and natives) would be able to tie into Ompalam Myth (via Heroquests) to give them more of a boost in binding larger Genie (eransacula) than they otherwise might.

On a separate idea linked to this last point, local mythic processes may be able to be latched onto for greater effects. Where in Glorantha you could insert the Sleeping Beauty story (the old version where she is put to sleep with parents and her entire court). Fronela of course; as local spirits (faeries) and sorcerers piggyback the Rathorelan sleeping myths for that little extra 'duration' sleeping spells. Merryweather being able to override Malificents curses due to the extra power she can put into sleeping magics thru linking her magic with rathor myth.

Thoughts

Sean