Re: The Thing With Many Bodies

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_cjFOB3fD0Dmb03rW52nieyvRUYb4-q6WmOBo5Y-FV4z3ZMYdsQnS3GX4-HsfVHELj2uiK>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:58:58 -0000

> That's absolutley great. Could the thing only be defeated via a Hero Quest? How do you kill something which won't die? Why is it that it can manifest and be hacked apart and yet not perish? I admit, my knowledge of Gloranthan spirituality is at a fairly novice level..either way, your response has been really inspiring.
> :)

Can it be defeated via a heroquest? Only for a time, *maybe* as long as your band of heroes are still alive, but probably less than a generation, and perhaps only a year or two, depending on what the outcome of the heroquest was.

To fully and finally defeat it, you would have to go back to the time of the Chaos wars and defeat it then, so that it never existed after that time. This is something more powerful than the Lunar Empire has ever been able to accomplish, so don't expect a band of heroes from Sartar to accomplish it (or it would have been done already).

Your Chaos Foe is a part of your clan's psyche, much like a person's bad temper or fear of heights. You can suppress it for a time, but as the need to suppress it "wears off", it creeps back in. And Your Chaos Foe dates back long before the Dawn (well, a large number of events before the Dawn, anyway, since time doesn't really exist back "then".). It's not something "learned" during time, like everyone's "Fear of Dragons", it's much, much deeper than that. It is that bit of self-destruction that is always present, always working on your clan, trying to destroy it from within and without. Many times it weakened the clan, but occasionally it strengthened the clan, perhaps by making the clan seek an alliance (Your Ancient Ally), or develope a special magic which helped defeat the Foe and prevent it from attacking the clan in the ame manner for the rest of time those Wyter abilities you're told to make up on question 11).

As a GM, you can use Chaos Creature Your Ancient Foe (like Broos or Scorpion men) as an occasional "it's okay to kill everything we encounter" style scenario. The "Beast" is a *very* subtle opponent; everything can be attributed back to it by scared (read- "you made them paranoid") players - "Oddi's acting strange - *how do we know it's really him*? Why are or friends attacking us in coucil? *Is it really them*? You can use themes, or even entire scenes from "Attack of the Body Snatchers", "The Thing", "V", and a host of 50's and 60's SciFi movies that deal with "Invisible Invaders".

Or you can have it be a twisted monstrosity that Just Wont Die that attacks the clan lands every so often, but that's not nearly as fun.

RR