Many Things With Many Bodies

From: hcarteau_at_Q06-7udf02j0LH8pTHirYpKGPED0MZ3svo2M-mUHX4ZJdlpkdP5BMMwdRmnNxWNpoXR
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:45:26 +0200

Selon In_a_flat_field <beautychokes_at_mzAPfzILlp3KUeoFDyE_p47fJ78RNI2JE4UChraNEqeBVuI2e_gO_cygeMmTTv7n6MEOM5PPH1Z4Rfc4Qpg.yahoo.invalid>:

> That's absolutley great. Could the thing only be defeated via a Hero Quest?
> How do you kill something which won't die? Why is it that it can manifest and
> be hacked apart and yet not perish?

/// So now you have seen how many possible answers there are to this question, and that's only part of them : it's what YOU will decide with your players that will count in YOUR Glorantha.

I especially liked the idea of the clan's ancestral ennemy being part of the clan's psyche ; any odd happenings brings immediately doubts and fears that the ennemy is getting closer. I also loved the idea of a group mind linking several entities, possibly human-looking (rather than a chaos gaggle). It allows CoC-style gaming, with paranoia increasing, etc.

And yes, the PCs can destroy the Thing for sometime, either on this world - if you allow it - or by Questing on the other side. I had forgotten thant the Thing plays a role in the Elmali story "Elmal Guards the Stead". Elmal's resolution and clear sight allows Him to see through the thing's disguises and to destroy it.

After the PCs have destroyed it, mention that a small bit of tentacle is crawling away and disappearing in a hole. IT WILL BE BACK...