Re: The Thing With Many Bodies

From: In_a_flat_field <beautychokes_at_6XUCgTxQP7ExML12hg7_0yWUoHzZ887VErqkP5rZiwmvlTHZZyMgWe_-PsekIFY>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:43:00 -0000

Ahhh. Interesting. That said, I was still going along cosmic horror lines. The idea that this is a being with a single consciousness and many seemingly normal and yet corrupted bodies (which explode into a chaos of tentacles at the worst possible moment) is one I like. As far as the infiltration of the womb goes....I'm thinking that this happens almost literally. Perhaps the woman breaks some kind of pregnancy taboo. Maybe the Thing comes to the dreams of the clan women who bear no children. It wears the form of a beautiful goddess and she/it offers fertility. Perhaps a single living fragment of the horror creeps INTO a sleeping womans womb and devours the unborn child, replacing it with a sort of changeling. In this way, the thing can insinuate itself into a stead over a lifetime....or worse, over generations.  Although I can definitely see the similarities, ogres seem more like a race that propogate themselves via rape and adultery. They do what they do to survive (although they're horribly evil). The Thing With Many Bodies attacks the morale and purity of the clan in a host of fashions. It's more like a familial curse than anything else. I'm now of the mind that there should be some kind of seasonal test of purity conducted by Urox's followers. A bit like that bit in John Carpenter's 'The Thing' whereby the blood of the survivors is tested in an open flame. Only significantly more brutal. That way, the people don't resort repeatedly to the Urox followers ritual. It's just too savage and often results in the deaths of those entirely pure.  For the record, I'm also going to have it absorb the bodies and souls of those it slays, keeping the clans bold ancestors trapped inside its multifarious selves.  Would you say that's still too similar to ogres? I value any opinion on the matter. :)