Ogres -- was: The Thing With Many Bodies

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_g-pAQ18wBx2-ijNmDot5TBmIB58XTHE030_-lF4x9c4KMXtdXVFuGpDwVd_vjd4x4SN>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:24:37 -0400

While I can certainly see chaos creatures using whatever horrible reproductive methods the GM might wish (and the players will stand hearing about), I think that ogres reproduce just like normal humans, with all the various schemes, emotions, and entanglements that produces (plus, of course, the possibility of eating the partner, which is usually absent in normal human interactions).

I like this because it gives several sources for ogres:

  1. Ogres raised by ogres. Baby shifts to solid food and learns to eat people along with other solid food. As Baby grows up, Baby learns ogre culture and understands ogre nature.
  2. Ogre raised by humans. This would crop up mostly when a male ogre abandons a pregnant human woman, but could also happen if an ogre baby is lost and found by humans, an ogre family is killed and a baby is mistaken for a victim, whatever. The child grows up as a "latent ogre," socialized as a human and normal except for the occasional odd dream or urge. Many may never express their ogre nature at all, marrying into their adopted society and propagating ogreness into the community. Others have some sort of traumatic even that brings these urges to the fore -- exposure to dead human flesh and blood, extreme physical or mental trauma, experience with chaos, getting into trouble with the gods and spirits by breaking taboos and losing the protection of society's guardians, etc.
  3. Humans who are cursed with ogreness for crimes against the gods, spirts, nature, whatever, or by falling under the sway of unwholesome powers. Since there is no way to know who was a "made ogre" and who was a "latent ogre" woken up by the event, this reinforces the taboos of society.

Anyway, that is my thought on that.

Peter Larsen