Re: 1:72 scale Glorantha

From: Keith <keith.nellist_at_LBbYGukU4Q_ZT3gQTsnQnfkoEEObRGsjowKGNwNRsYn8QDLnd55uZZ4MgnOwTH>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:36:00 -0000

I guess it is partly nostalgia for me. I started wargaming with 1:72 scale Airfix Africa Corp plastic soldiers. Metal 25mm fantasy came a bit later. I never liked 28mm - too big. My brother was a 1:32 scale military modelling Napoleonics kinda guy.

At the moment, I'm impressed with the number of ancients in 1:72 scale plastic but I also find it curious how well many giant Glorantha things fit into this ratio. I'm just finding it interesting to imagine constructing a model of, say, the mother of monsters, and seeing how big it would be.

I can't get the idea out of my head that a lot of the weird monsters in both Glorantha and D&D come from out of scale toys (e.g the rust monster) or stuff just being handy (like the chess pieces in the Cradle scenario seem like they were probably represented by chess pieces in minature), or more literally, feety (like Gonn Orta could have been represented by a pair of shoes). Not just in RPGs either. The Block always seemed to me to be a bit of a visual pun on a giant D6 descending on a wargame board.

I've got toys and children all over the place at home and it would be easy to just grab one of their toys and use that as some chaos monster, or weird giant creature.

You're right about 15mm though. Fanatics!

Keith