Re: Hon Eel and the maize cult

From: Jeff <richaje_at_f45xFpdQS5r7hfEr_tHZl8B55_L-0jhAVpCBr-P0h3ZGmIsxvQ-pNpEVVDm4BitXWuEV>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 05:39:34 -0000

> I have just started reading about lunar stuff again, and realized that I have a very sketchy picture of how Hon Eel brought the cultivation of corn to Peloria, and how it really works, with out without blood (and even where the sacrifices are practised)

The very basic story is given in ILH-2. Hon-Eel sacrificed her divine son who was reborn in order to bring fertility back to the lands ravaged by Sheng Seleris. The Corn Rites always involve human sacrifice, although usually of criminals or prisoners from war. The Emperor once tried to stop the bloody Corn Rites but the corn wouldn't grow.

Jeff