Re: Alakorings, Heortlings and the others

From: Andreas Davour <Koraq_at_oQu2_Zzbht3d07yEzU610F_PslitXSFwH5VlytrhbhHKR0qSduus8kO2Xte9D0kuUvBZ6t>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 13:47:35 -0700 (PDT)

> > I don't think I've ever seen any
> overview of the different sorts (tribes?) of Orlanthis out
> there. I have a hard to keeping them apart. Anyone know of a
> summary of how Alakorings differ from Heortlings from
> Hendreiki from God-knows-whom?
>
> OK, these are the biggest obvious differences between the
> nations:
> 1. They speak different Theyalan languages. The Heortlings
> (basically Hendrikings of Heortland and Sartar) speak
> southern Theyalan dialects (similar to Esrolian). The
> Alakoringites speak Northern Theyalan dialects with many
> borrowing from Dara Happan, Talastaring, Carmanian, New
> Pelorian and so on.

This is, I think, the first time I've seen mentioning them having different languages. How similar are those? I know I once read about the Theyalan languages, but I don't think anyone then made any comparisons to real world languages, which made it harder for me to form a picture of them.

> 2. For over two hundred years the Heortlings had no
> significant non-Theyalan human influences. The Alakoringites
> of Peloria have seven hundred years of significant Dara
> Happa, Carmanian and Lunar influences.
>
> Smaller less notable differences is that all Heortlings
> still perform the ancient initiation rites of the Second
> Son, while many Alakoringite tribes perform their own
> initiation rites (many adopted during the wars against the
> EWF).
They do? Hmm. Interesting. I guess this reflect their society's structure. While I've seen it mentioned that Alakorings with Orlanth Rex empower their kings over their priests I don't think I've heard how that is reflected in the governance of the tribes. They have a tribal ring with all the Lightbringers, I guess. But, doesn't the Heortling ring as well? I know I have read this! I have way to much gloranthan material, and it was way to long since I read most of it.

> As for personal appearance, both are tattooed (using many
> of the same symbols), but Alakoringite fashion is more
> likely to be influenced by the Oslir valley lowlanders.

And spiked hair in Ralios, right? :)

> Does that help?

Good overview, yes!

Now I did find this overview by Greg as well. I knew there had to be something out there. http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/barbarians.html