Re: Alakorings, Heortlings and the others

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_5csXASibMqOSv2zNzaV4om9BYURz_F8zSfBetEyw73m4C5QWe7aqcw3aGXioouAeSEC>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:04:14 +1300

On 10/6/2010 5:15 AM, Andreas Davour wrote:

 > Anyone know of a summary of how Alakorings differ from
> Heortlings from Hendreiki from God-knows-whom?

HEORTLINGS: Us. The Best People in the World. Once we ruled the four quarters but due to the follies of our neighbours we are sorely pressed by the Red Moon in the North and the Living God in the south.

ESROLIA: When the Vingkotling Kings were at the height of their powers that were giants that strode the earth. When they were weak, they stayed at home, drank beer by the wagonload and beat up the missus. When the Vingkotling kings were gone, Esrolia is what they left behind; a nation of harpies and harridans.

PAVISITES: Heortlings that live in a ruin at the edge of the world. When Alakoring was telling everybody about Orlanth Rex, he didn't know about this place and the Priests are still strong. When Dorasor went there, he found the custom rather charming and being that twit that he was, surrendered his authority to seven doddering fools who couldn't put up a fight when the Red Moon Came.

ALAKORINGITES: The followers of the great Alakoring. They worship Orlanth Rex so strongly, that they do not elect their chieftains as we do but have the King choose the best man from among the clan. This was a good idea when the Kings were good, a stupid idea when the Kings were foolish and a downright terrible idea when the Kings abandoned Orlanth.   You only have to look at Tarsh to see the errors of following Alakoring too strongly.

TALASTINGS: The people of Talastar. Lokamayadon's people. Even though he is dead and gone, there's still something not quite right about the wind in their lands. Given that their lands are stuck between moonrock and a squishy place, they are either fanatical in their hatred of chaos or or spineless appeasers. But they haven't killed each other yet because they value blood ties above duty to the gods. The few people that would act as we do, such as Killer Garril, have their names uttered in hushed tones of dread and respect.

SYLILANS: Bear country. Currently ridden hard by the Red Goddess and enjoying it by all acounts.

VUSTRIANS: The Ralians of the eastern highlands who worshipped bestial Seravus in the good old days. They accepted Orlanth at the Dawn but their support was shallow and they still worship beasts. When the EWF came proclaiming themselves as the grandfather of the beasts, the Vustrians abandoned worship of Orlanth and cheered apostates such as Ingolf. Only when the EWF collapsed did they return to the worship of the true gods.

WENELIANS: People tell tales about another tribe of Orlanthi, the Harandings that were descended from King Drogalar Orlanthsson. I do not believe this. The Wenelians have always worshipped whatever gods that anybody put in front of them and it is my belief that so-called Harandings are merely Wenelians who worshipped Orlanth and not as is more common the God of Antlers and Hooves.

SAFELSTRANS: Lowlander Ralians who claim to be Orlanthi but are not. Their god doesn't quite look right and they have bad customs such as as their support of Arkat the Baby Eater, Boristi squid love orgies and other degenerate practices. It is little wonder that they fell to the God Learners.

ESVULARI: Sorcerous scumbags who pretend to worship our gods. Their true nature can be seen in their collaboration with whatever foreign warlord invades Kethaela. If the Devil should return (may STorm Bull forbid!), they will doubtlessly collaborate with him too.

VADRUDI: Violent and unruly sons of Vadrus. It is good that they live far away in Fronela.

UMATHELANS: Who?

--Peter Metcalfe