Re: Alakorings, Heortlings and the others

From: Jeff <richaje_at_V-jjRE3YE6ANgJgAg5BWVh8bS0tuTN0oyWpPA4kYppTdwt3ZnfFT8Iad8kg0IOMc1L-o>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:12:42 -0000

> It was the lowlander pony-riders that the World Council used to fight
> against the Jenarong dynasty. The highlanders would have fought as
> peltasts or skirmishers in that conflict. Looking at the roster for the
> Battle of Night and Day, the Dari alliance sends mounted warriors while
> IMO the highlanders are represented in the Karian contingent (bearing
> mammoth hide shields).

Those were the Karians. Probably many of them settled the land from Dragon Pass and long fought against the Kivitti elephant people (the source of those mammoth hide shields).

The Highland-Lowland division might surprise you a little bit. The Highland Enerali actually were further west from where Vustria is located in the Third Age and were around Lake Nralar at the Dawn.

> Two - I don't think the Galanini became Orlanthi. They are the
> ancestors of the Safelstrans rather than the eastern highlanders.

All of the Enerali embraced the Theyalan Lightbringer pantheon (as did the Talastarings) - which is not surprising since their ur-ancestors worshiped Orlanth in the Storm Age. That's how the Theyalan missionaries worked. They knew secrets of the Enerali's own mythology - secrets never told to outsiders - and helped the Enerali understand their own broken myths.

However, the Enerali did not become Heortlings and kept their own secrets of surviving the Darkness (which did not involve Heort or IFWW or the Unity Battle). What the Theyalan missionaries did was show them the Storm Age that preceded the Darkness, which had been largely lost to them.

Jeff