Re: Alakorings, Heortlings and the others

From: Andreas Davour <Koraq_at_ISZ8s0Pa3w0PEQ7i7XL5NefqQHaHygEU7TmJzNCFqYPpEXbT0IThQV3B-kEC7wemzehYjQ>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 06:05:09 -0700 (PDT)

> A few comments:
>
> IIRC, the Ralios campaign came about because one player
> liked the idea of chariots, and I wanted to run a Glorantha
> game. I attempted to find the part of Glorantha that would
> fit them best. That seemed to be East Ralios. Peter points
> out how that fits nicely. As Jeff points out, just because
> it's reasonable and not inconsistent to have Ralian
> charioteers, it doesn't mean that it's part of Greg's
> vision.
>
> Minor elements like hair style and clothing ought to fit
> into regional variation. I never intended Ralians to BE
> British Celts. A few Celtic traits seemed like a good way to
> distinguish them from Orlanthi elsewhere (just as Celts had
> their own variations).

Exactly. I think adding something different is a good idea, and the slightly "celtic-er" Ralios could be fun, and doesn't have to mean we're adopting a RW culture outright. That seldom happen in Glorantha. Mix and match.

> The Ralians who visit in the King of Dragon Pass game are
> clearly engaged in some big sort of ritual. They might be
> using a chariot for its ritual value. (For that matter, same
> with hair styles.) Their purpose in KoDP was to be odd
> foreigners.

My thought exactly. They show up and KoDP was developed in cooperation with Greg, so you could argue that there are chariot riding Orlanthi from Ralios in Greg's Glorantha. Now, find a fun reason how it work out.

Or you could just say it isn't so and argue about canon sources and gregging...

> It's also conceivable that Ralians retain chariots as a
> sport rather than a military technology. If it was good
> enough for the Romans…

Now, that is something. Imagine some wild youth from Ralios taking their wheels out for a spin, partying and listening to music that drive their parent's nuts. They happen to show up in Dragon Pass and a legend is born.

BTW David, I tried to email you to ask if you had a pdf of the Pendragon Pass rules to share. Maybe it got stuck in a spam filter somewhere or I uses an address that's no longer valid.

/andreas