Re: Alakorings, Heortlings and the others

From: Jeff <richaje_at_S7O3-DLftmnJoYN2TgkKk3ScemAFvII7pM9Hhxj6nzSnil3Oqe8vowiTXc_z5QNbypq8>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 11:55:17 -0000

> > All of the Enerali embraced the Theyalan Lightbringer pantheon (as
> > did the Talastarings) - which is not surprising since their
> > ur-ancestors worshiped Orlanth in the Storm Age.
>
> I find this difficult to believe considering the Heortling mythology
> goes no further than Seravus and that is enemy territory. The Heortlings
> knew the Talastings and the Sylilans were Orlanthi in the good old days
> but as for the Enerali, their sources are moot.

Ralios was definitely within the Storm Gods zone of affairs during the Storm Age and Orlanth was known to them. The Heortlings associate this with the stories of Selus, Avoren, and Sevid, although their geography is a little fuzzy. The Malkioni associate this with the Kachisti who were corrupted by Worlath and became Winkoti (and yes, their geography was a little fuzzy too).

As for the Enerali, their history at the Dawn was largely lost. They were the children of Galanin who saved them in the Darkness. But they knew scraps of other stories - and were shocked when the Theyalans showed how those stories fit into a larger story (this is the same story as the Hagolings and plenty of other people who embraced Orlanth worship).

Now I admit I am cheating in this discussion because I am working on some material with Greg for publication next year that is directly on subject (we are putting together comprehensive mythology and historical maps for the Guide to Glorantha and are chatting quite a bit about Ralios - check out Breakfast and Games for some hints about the material we are working on). Greg has written realms of incredibly thoughtful and well-developed material that never has been out of his office let alone in print. We are getting as much of that material into form as possible (and practical) to get it into the Guide (and future publications) and into *everyone's* hands and enrich *everyone's* Glorantha.

Jeff