Re: No dots between Anilla and Zaytenera ?

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_ATQJ3h30YP58HYQbOM8FCJeyUl2Jg0Bjc3JaArFi23MSMuNjmXTuKYiydvRBOfDb>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:35:03 -0000

hcarteau :

> Selon Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_...>:
>
> > Oh, unlucky folk to fall under my eye
> /// Uh ?

don't worry about this... ;)

> > > "before the Green Age" is also a bit flakey. :)
> > Yes, an unprovable fact to humans. However, entities (elves) who WERE there
> and remember say this is so
> /// So we do know that the First Blue Moon is much older than the sun and the
> skies. I read somewhere she was a "proto-sun" made by the Waters and Darkness to
> prevent the rising of the new Element. That does sound nice. But I wonder then
> how baby Yelm did find himself in Hell, watched by AA, ZZ and XU ?

I think there are several "before the Green Age", so that this complicates things -- the God Learner elemental progression needs to be handled with care as far as I know. The Green Age from that point of view is really the first time that there is a recognisable World, recognisable that is from the point of view of a typical Gloranthan, although there are states of existence that preceded it and that some cults and races can remember, and that can with some enormous danger even be visited by some powerful enough Heroquesters.

The God Learners did identify a state of the World which was a mix of Darkness, Water, and Earth -- that they called the Green Age -- and that they would I suppose have viewed as being a world of blind creatures creeping around in sheer, cold darkness ; and slowly being revealed and illumined by the oncoming Light and Heat of the later Golden Age ; however the Elves and the Trolls and the Merpeoples and the Dara Happans have some utterly divergent points of view concerning these elemental Ages.

I think that each elemental Power has its own fundamental (and usually, I'd imagine, very obscure) mythology of elemental progression, naming one particular element as the First, and another particular element as the Last. If you look at the GRAoY for instance, it seems clear that Solar culture views Fire as the first and preeminent element ; the merpeople similarly view Water as having been first ; IMO & YGWV.

So, the idea that the first Blue Moon may be older than the Sun and Sky is I think true from a certain point of view ; but not necessarily from various other ones.

To take another point of view, the Beastmen Nature worshipers of the Spider would perhaps simply accept each of the Runes present in their lives as being its own strength and origin, and likely view questions of which came first as being uninteresting, irrelevant, and just plain old bizzarre ;)

Another important point is that very VERY few 3rd Age Gloranthans take any kind of interest in such questions ;)

erm ... IIRC you're proposing making a full monomyth of the blue moon ? hmm ... I'd guess that's a bit of a paradoxical project ; because if you wanted to be exhaustive, you need to include the Loony element, which throws your monomyth out the window at first opportunity, right ? :D

The GL Monomyth states, in its characteristically unambiguous manner, that "The" Moon always existed, so that the appearance of the Red Moon was a natural phenomenon. I suggested a little tongue in cheek that they might view the Moon as having been a singular Runic entity later devolving into several lesser Moons, and it's quite true that this would be a complete misconception from any properly Lunar point of view -- but these are still the sorts of debates that Lunar Philosophers may enjoy arguing about amongst themselves...

I'm not really sure though how useful any of this might be for gaming purposes -- unless you have some kind of diabolical plan to get your players mixed up with some strange clique of Lunar pacifists from the Blue Moon Plateau on some kind of educational/propaganda mission/pilgrimage somewhere ???

The abstract questions are somewhat interesting I find, and there are surely some Gloranthans wondering about them in their heads -- but they're really so obscure that it's quite hard to see their usefulness for a game. That's really what I meant when I asked you what point of view you were looking for. It's a bit hard to get properly hands on otherwise... :)

Julian Lord