Re: Connecting the dots between Anilla and Zaytenera

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_Q-cUDDzRQiNJpwAA8PMu-WCB0vi9-ATNiDKZ5MPCfxfdkwP6YLm_7MQ__6Y21XfWyY6>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:57:12 +1300

On 10/12/2010 7:22 PM, David Cake wrote:

> I find Peters explanation unsatisfying. Apparenlty, it means
> all the Uz Blue Moon Plateua Annilla cultists are apparently just
> mistaken idiots, who have never bothered to heroquest to find out if
> the basis of their religion is correct (and the Lunar Empire knows
> they are wrong and just doesn't bother to tell them)?

HeroQuests aren't used for finding historical truths and my Annilla is a mask is no different from what the Lunars do with other people's mythology. After all there's a statement in the Entekosiad that Carmanos was an incarnation of Natha. Similarly there's Orogerian cultists around who deny that their deity is a mask of the Red Goddess.

> Surely, with
> such a big mistake, any attempt to heroquest beyond the trivial would
> be fairly disastrous?

Whoever said they made a mistake? I said they worshipped her and infused her with the power of the nameless deity. If it works, it is by definition not a mistake.

For example Urvairinus, War God of Dara Happa, is famous for doing two things - retreiving the crown of Deumalos from Naveria and killing YarGan. Yet historically both those deeds were committed by somebody else - the Naverian deed was committed by Brightface or a similar deity and was far closer to a coup d'etat while the Pelandans probably remember Daxdarius as being the slayer of wicked Yargan. Everybody can experience their gods myths and find them to be exactly what their priests say they are (barring the odd secret or two). That historians tell them that things were different around the year zero only demonstrates that they are demented heretics who are not to be trusted.

Yes, there are some plausible mythic equations that are demonstrably false (Valare Addi's reckoning that Entekos was the Goddess) and there are plausible mythic equations that look to have firm foundations but have a hidden flaw (as any God Learner roasting in hell can relate) _but_ there are also mythic equations that are demonstrably false historically yet true mythically and magically.

Lastly how is anybody going to tell the Blue Moon Assassins that they're doing it all wrong?

> Even though the fact that the two are associated with
> completely different celestial bodies isn't enough to tip them off?

What's to tip them off? When the Trolls came, there was no planet Lesilla in the Sky. Their Goddess is the Goddess of the Blue Moon and you expect them to seriously entertain the nothing that she's actually the Red Moon?

--Peter Metcalfe