Re: No dots between Anilla and Zaytenera ?

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_tN8Uu18tlh5VgjhGBoKsHFtlvEX0pk92-MDKIdbIupdFi2VxlDoWRnA8E-TQSFky>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 18:56:46 -0000

hcarteau :

> > I think that each elemental Power has its own fundamental (and usually, I'd
> > imagine, very obscure) mythology of elemental progression, naming one
> > particular element as the First, and another particular element as the Last.
> /// So you don't accept there's a general agreement on the progression Darkness
> -> Water -> Earth -> Fire -> Air ?

erm, I mean that different cultures having strong connections with any of the elemental Runes will have their own myths about the origin of the World which may not always agree with the GL elemental progression -- which says nothing about whether the GL version is true or not, just that various different Elemental points of view will exist on how the Elements came together to form the physical world.

> > If you look at the GRAoY for instance, it seems clear that Solar culture
> > views Fire as the first and preeminent element ;
> /// Do they ? It's the Most Important but do they see it as the First Come ? The
> earth was already there (see Darsen myths, etc.)

hmm .. I will admit I was playing on words a bit there -- first/preeminent ;) Though the DH still see the Sun as the Source of Existence. I'm not expert enough in Solar mythology to go much beyond that...

> the merpeople similarly view Water as having been first
> /// Many mermen cults seem to aknowledge that Darkness was first...

There was a philosophical argument about this on the old Glorantha Digest list, won _very_ decisively by Greg.

The beginning of the Blue Age in that GL progression was the combination of Darkness and Water -- but how can you tell which was there first, and what would that even *mean* ?

The God Learners said - Darkness was first. 3rd Age Gloranthans who believe that are typically believing this GL myth, though among the Uz it is of course just their native mythology.

> > I'm not really sure though how useful any of this might be for gaming
> > purposes -- unless you have some kind of diabolical plan to get your players
> > mixed up with some strange clique of Lunar pacifists from the Blue Moon
> > Plateau on some kind of educational/propaganda mission/pilgrimage somewhere
> > ???

> /// Even worst. It all started, all of things, with my interest in the Loper
> Folk for my Fay Jee campaign (players, go away). I plan on a very spectacular
> showdown with the resurrected / recalled zaranistangi sometimes in the future,
> near Fay Jee. Then I realized they worshipped Annilla AND Emilla (which I call
> Baraku, Emilla is a wimp name). And I started digging... and enjoy it.

hum ... that's even more twisted than stuff I usually come up with, mes compliments au chef ! ;)

Julian Lord