Troll vision

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_sYIY_slZeEfuXheRx25j_sqfG6ChduYLZQsYMPAutUeiH8zLepLeJ95I3M3j_r>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:17:07 -0700

Of course, science only gets us so far in Glorantha. It is the analogy by which we "real-worlders" understand the processes of a different, mythically-made world. But science does not describe the actual processes, and in some cases, gets it very wrong.

If color is a property of objects, and like some properties ("pure", Airy, essential/spiritual/etc., runic) some can perceive or experience this property while other's can't, then those that cannot sense a property would not see anything in its place.

Thus, if you cannot detect the property of "blue", it would not register to you as "black", a different property. It would just be absent. Same for being able to use Shaman Sight to see the spiritual nature of things; you don't notice the missing properties if you are unable to use Shaman Sight.

I find this concept wonderful and intuitive, once you identify colors are a property rather than the the quality and frequency of light reflecting from the surface of objects. That would mean that trolls see the object, but unless it has the "red" property, they do not perceive any of the color properties of an object, including "black". What an interesting world that would be to try out for a role playing session!

--Todd