Thinking about Snakepipe Hollow and the Wind Sword

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_V0bD9tyUNGeiM3HhsbXXUAkv09D5gkKLUSN2RwFPsw1keUXRQO1_NHuWSgCEdEfvn_S>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:33:39 -0000

I've been reading the old material in Wyrms Footprints, Snakepipe Hollow and of course the Griffin Mountain reprint. Some ideas are coming to mind.

First of all, the Snakepipe Hollow seems to be very mutable. I don't know if the Maggot is the main cause of it, but space and time seem to be broken in the Hollow. Barosh couldn't kill the Maggot, even though he drove it away, and it's unlikely even a superhero like Harrek or Arkat could accomplish a final clensing. I think the Hollow is like the broken cityscape in Stalker... it's a place where reality is fractured, and we know it has at least one location with an open chaos wound.

At the same time, or maybe because of the above it's a location where you can heroquest just by entering. It used to be a be a place of power before the coming of the maggot, and fragments and entities of that time can still be encountered by entering the caves there. Judging from the published tidbits gamemasters can pretty much let their imagination run wild, and brave souls exploring the Hollow will always find something new if they can survive the chaos dangers there. Hopefully culling the chaotic manifestations will also strengthen the non-chaotic entities and powers of the place. The earth temple with it's snakes and daemons gives the impression of a place under siege, that can blossom into a site of anti-chaos power with the help of questing heroes.

  ***

On the subject of the Wind Sword I'd like to try re-imagining it to fit better with the current vision of Glorantha, free of the constraints of the RQ mechanics. I'd also like to know if any work has been done on that tantalising hint that it's only one of a set of "elemental weapons forged against chaos". That is some good stuff right there :)

  -Adept