Re: Praxian Hell/Jaldonite Otherworld?

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_VUFWZQz_cK0AB_B_YWZu8V5ZYhmYmp1ZgJy22s_Sgf2yVeUrMLHrCB7da6mC_XYw>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:33:41 -0000

Jeff :

> I didn't assume a punitive hell simply because such a concept is unusual for many Gloranthans.

Well, this much I agree with. Which is why I find the original question of a "Praxian Hell" to be such a questionable one. I don't think that the central tenets of Praxian spirit cults, based as they are on various forms of ownership, can have anything worse than banishment.

ANYTHING not Praxian is BAD. Waha has spoken.

They simply have no need at all of a special Hell Place in their cosmology, as far as I can see -- although there can certainly be some Bad Spirit Places mentioned therein.

> The default position is that when you are dead you go to the Underworld, which is a bad place UNLESS you are under the protection of some god (if the god is really powerful he might even be able to get you out of there!), or your descendents keep giving you food and stuff, or you know some cool secret that lets you leave the Underworld for some better place.

God Learner construct. :)

Topical counter-example is the Uz, for whom the Underworld is Paradise, and the Burnplace Heavens are Hell.

The God Learners confused their own notions of the afterlife with their understanding of Gloranthan cosmology. We should not make a similar mistake, of importing some specifically mediterranean cosmological notions of Heaven and Hell into Glorantha.

Julian Lord