Re: Troll vision

From: boztakang <danielmc_at_NFzhQdoHO5FjokThR1qRjM0UfUAx45dldRr87sHDCX_MFrqjx6Xf7_mNaRUrqimpLlD>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:23:46 -0000

>>  So, a troll could sense well what's under
>> this tree and that tree across the meadow, but not what's in the bright sulight
>> in between.

> I like this notion too. I've always felt that it makes sense for the trolls'
> darksense to work via the element of darkness. I see everywhere being covered
> in a combination of light element and darkness element. Obviously in Wonderhome
> very little of the nasty light element penetrates and likewise the planes of
> Prax at midday the element of light dominates and darkness has to hide under the
> leaves of the grass and in the hollows in the ground, waiting for night to
> fall...

It's an interesting idea, but I believe that it's pretty well established that "darksense" works just fine in daylight -- otherwise, it would be nearsighted darktrolls who are demoralized in daytime, and not the sensitive-eyed trollkin and cave-trolls.

I've always associated sound with darkness, and have never had any reservations about the darksense/sonar analog, so i'm perhaps not as accomidating to "new" ideas about it as i might be.

On the other hand, you have triggered the idea in my head that perhaps troll eyesight IS completely greyscale, and that Red, the color of Blood and Hot Things, is actually detected by Darksense.

It makes a lot of sense to me, as most of the things that a troll needs to pay immediate attention to or die, are Red. Relegating the detection of those immediate dangers to a minor, and mostly useless sense (i believe smell, taste, and touch are all more important to uz in daily life than vision) seems a bit silly.

I especially like the idea of completely b&w eyesight for uz, because it gives me the amusing image of some poor enlo desperately trying explain his perfect color vision to his increasingly dubious dark troll masters before they decide the poor thing is incurably mad and make a snack of him.