Re: a sense of deja vu

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_QdUaMLTe3W89eMEzrnI7CD2m4APiMHEY3ltG4qFlK4NWAxGJGBse6wmNWUH-MRWyNak>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:23:22 +1300

On 10/19/2010 6:56 PM, David Cake wrote:

>> If it were to be written up today, the Uz Cult would be
>> much different in appearance, namely being based on the Pelorian Blue
>> Moon Story (as present in Troll Facts #3) and removing the spell from
>> Artmal (It's not that Artmal doesn't provide a runespell to his mother
>> The basis of the cult in secrets and assassination would be unchanged.

> I think that is a very big stretch. Troll Facts #3 was known > at the time of the Annilla writeup.

It was published at the same time but the material in Troll Facts #3 looks to me stylistically composed later than the Annilla cult writeup.   Many of the cults in the Troll Cults Book (ie Annilla, Arkat, Basko, Mee Vorala) have a rather unpolished air, namely being a recital of available information with a cult tacked onto it which has little resemblance to the mythology. OTOH Cults like Himile, Moorgarki, Xentha, Subere and Aranea work as cults for the unsophisticated Uz.

> 	And I don't think the story in Troll Facts #3 would be
> considered a particularly good representation of the Pelorian Blue
> Moon story any more.

I don't see nothing wrong with it. The only factual change I would make is replace Artmal with Shargash in the text. Or Zorak Zoran. A better criticism might be one of style in that the tale doesn't sound right in the mouth of an Anonymous Uz.

--Peter Metcalfe