R: Re: Sartar Companion

From: Libuse Premyszl <lybuse_at_xNmGk1ckQ5913XYA-fBbZKCFi_9ihJ5Z5bISBej7tMhmnkMMnZOqXm4C4Canic1IMzkwa>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:21:36 +0100 (BST)

well, working in that department here in italy i can say a couple of things
  1. in italy the vat on the books exist and is 4% but is worked out in such a way that is payed by the editor and not the buyer (so for the buyer apparently there isnt vat, but still it exist on the books)
  2. pdf arent "books", but are "services", and so here in italy we pay 20% vat on a pdf purchase (and so for me wasnt a surprise when i noticed that "added cost")

working in a publishing company that has a lot of deals with pdf products, i thought it was perfectly "law abiding" at least for my country rules on that matter.

i also know that when i buy pdf on all us sites and on some uk sites i dont have to pay vat.

the problem there is too hard to find out a way to pay for a tax that doesnt exist (in us, in uk i dont know) so i am fine either way.

tommaso