Re: Tides

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_vqWwOM913fNEVAA3P-a9tYh39N2BP-IlU3G66p1rGHa6Fjbv17wT2itEzZnVM2hqX>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:52:01 -0700

YGWV On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Keith <keith.nellist_at_pycRrn22GXqvJJzcmybeI8HjYwLidi0aSxyHDZtO2_IBSezxQURTqLaPBUz72c88xBY90mTOuGScoU6eIEDYdQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I've not really had any games where the tides come into play, so it has
> never really come up for me to make a definite decision for my Glorantha.
>
> So does the water rise with the Sun, or fall as it rises? Or slosh from the
> gates of Dawn to Dusk and back again? Does the Red Planet have an effect?
> Other parts of the Sky Dome? I'm sure the effects of Storm; Clearburst,
> Doldrums and Hurricanes for example are more noticable, but how about
> Darkness or Earth. My guess is almost everything effects the sea, which
> might explain why the Blue Moon knows what everyone is up to.

I don't have my data in front of me but someone does Everything you mentioned has a minor effect. Petty, really

the main attractor of the fluid is the Blue Boon who takes [a number] of days to rise into the sky,
She climbs on the outside of the Dayzatar dome, and so is invisible to anyone below
At the peak, she has a cup of tea with Pole Star, then leaps downward Her fall, if you could see it in detail, is a remarkable dance, and with the right eyes you can see her servants and lovers in their moves Poorer eyes for her Truth see the seething planet tumbling from the sky, pulled and stretched in every direction by everything that is attracted to her--these are mostly downward into the maw of Magasta, loved and attracted and sucked down by the Sea of Seas
Lucky people see the even commonly called (in various tongues) the "blue streak" that loks like a quickly falling ray of light, or a dense light followed by a comet-like tail.
(The tail is actual her tail, like water, the least desired and least intense. If you have any hope whatsoever of coming back with your lives, you might get some frmo her tail.)

Her fall always takes almost exactly more or less not quite or a bit more than "a day and a night."

Thus the tides rise erratically each "tidal week," requiring at least one full "day and night" to rise to their highest tide mark (actually a rare event) and at the longest, ____ days. But they always rush away in a "day and night."

I read this in the Jonstown Compendium.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer