Hrestol's knighthood initiation

From: Scott <romulan_ace_at_wb7qllr7Xlz9XZBbl2jRYtBUYs__4FEYNBGl47Ac4cWxr-hWMXPi-la3PF8mY3vM>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:14:27 -0000

I'm working on a campaign for Seshnegi knights at the Dawn and I have a bunch of questions I'll post over the next little while.

To start, one about Hrestol's initiation. The article on Crusades (in Tales # 13, slightly modified later in Arcane Lore) says "from the central Court of Silence he traveled to a test suitable for a member of each of the lower social classes, then achieved the final challenge at the center to succeed at the initiation."

I assume this is the Court[s] of Silence in the underworld (where the dead are judged, etc.); if so, why here for Hrestol becoming a knight?

I've a few theories (the Western otherworld at the time wasn't defined/personified enough for an intelligible experience; result of the polytheism of Seshnegi at the Dawn; Hrestol wouldn't have been able to take back his new sword/armor from the Western otherworld; some association of knighthood with theistic/death powers) but, since none are really jumping out at me, I'd appreciate more ideas or insight.