The all-important FIRST, not Fourth, caste

From: hcarteau_at_vOcVG_fAO2iiJDcJJYkGjfO3DhNWNIc5b7GwqKShRNaOKIZpu2SoTEbAogYXSfos2W1
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:56:26 +0200

Selon Jeff <richaje_at_X7jSBuMR8bXvgFW65UX0mdUDpGeWmlDwtabAyo7DkwWKGLPRaW7IWuFhU1GDy7_vI1r528XN38yS4w.yahoo.invalid>:

> I think terms like "Church", "knight", "peasant", "serf", and "lord" are even
more loaded with misleading imagery.
/// Yes, I've heard that somewhere before. But I do think any imagery is better than grasping at a vaccuum. Long Live the Church and its Holy Ecclesiarch (see I didn't say "Pope") ;-)

> I tend to use "worker" but I suspect I successfully purged any Marxist
> implications from the term for me.

/// Good. Marxists aren't the only ones who know what work is about. How about using the therm "Laborer" then ? Or even "Providers" ? It's what Malkion made them : they Provide for the community. Dronar himself was the son of Malkion and the local Land Goddess (good old Malkion did have many many wives).

Dronari do include peasants (90% of the caste) but also craftsmen, merchants, sailors, etc. Its members can in some societies bear arms (to hunt, as a levy to defend their city). They can and some actually do become very rich, especially merchants. Makion did not forbid Man to enrich himself and his community. Some can even Learn (to read, write, count).
Of course, there are blurred lines. Most rokari pesants are serfs who don't qualify as dronari. In Loskalm, you're a Dronar only if you go to the trouble of passing the exam (Plant Lore 50% ? check) Otherwise you're a... I don't know what you are. An Innocent ?

I don't see dronari at the bottom of society ; certainly Malkion himself did not mean any caste was "superior" to the other. They all are parts of society who depend on each other and need to work together. It so happens the talari are tasked with coordinating the physical work (that and dealing with strangers). That doesn't make them Master of the World. In fact, castes can handle most of their affairs (justice, etc.) themselves without letting the other castes look into them.