Re: Hrestol's knighthood initiation

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at__2ykurWx-P75dLxMBDCBuxGfjI2HnYIrxYZipVutH7Fkhrq3mgv-yZru2tgzeilzwPQ>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:26:30 +1300

On 10/28/2010 6:52 AM, Scott Mayne wrote:

> The broad stroke of events is that a Seshnegi nobleman offends the Pendali,
> triggering wars that threaten to crush the Malkioni settlements. In response
> Hrestol quests, establishes knighthood, and has a transcendental experience
> which turns him into a prophet and somehow changes the Western otherworld.
> A big response, to something that must have been a big threat. All because
> of a few hundred primitive lion men at the gates?

Looking at the RW, I see big responses to relatively trivial events. Jesus was a preacher in the wop-wops of northern Judea. Mohammed was a camel-driver in Arabia. Confucius was a travelling sage who never acquired a patron for life.

Hence I really see the Book of Kings as a literary effort by someone who thought that Hrestol's revelation must have occurred in considerably more dramatic circumstances than actually took place.

>> I'll have to repudiate my thinking above and say that instead that
>> Saints could project blessings and curses onto the Malkioni since the
>> Ice Age. Hrestol's joy is something else.

> Now this is a pity to read. What do people make of these words from
> Arcane Lore: "The resonance of God as Man created a new approach
> to sorcery, or applied magic, starting at this time. After [Joy], the
> Otherworld has the increasingly defined Saint Plane with which people
> act."

Arcane Lore is really to inspire ideas rather than Canon. In any case, I'm not seeing the text in my copy of Arcane Lore.

--Peter Metcalfe