Re: 1st age malkioni settlers : brithini or mortals ?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_MYdsYBaZ3FYMXilXwm6P1xIknuvsTfptuLWO9dvM1P0rUwdknOIMRb5iPBZtLpeym>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:25:53 -0700

YGWV On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 1:34 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_1OuE0fofPcV1uruEwZgaIYhnkheg1svQzKZV-9c2X9A0Lv1As6EChgfPBv5v0wd4sDfKphXdYSBfmQZB5ioSL9Zr.yahoo.invalid

wrote:
...lots of very good information and insights, again

On 10/29/2010 12:23 AM, hcarteau_at_nRbb7MDZ9GXJz9MU2NFoR3FZWMC0WgSWxnhW_44CZ1rdvPInN8gp-ckTSEAtIv6vllh5eHACeDg.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> > Selon Peter Metcalfe<metcalph_at_1OuE0fofPcV1uruEwZgaIYhnkheg1svQzKZV-9c2X9A0Lv1As6EChgfPBv5v0wd4sDfKphXdYSBfmQZB5ioSL9Zr.yahoo.invalid>:
> >
> > As for the Seshnegi being henotheist before Hrestol's revelation, the
> issue is
> > open as far as I can see.
> >

> The reason why I said it was open was that originally I would have said
> yes but now I'm not so sure.
>
> Part of the problem is that the Malkioni history is more complex than
> originally thought.

You've done a great job of outlining what is known.

> Secondly Froalar and family were recent arrivals, leaving to avoid
> causing a civil war in Brithos.

Although "recent" is comparative, since they are immortals.

> So what I think is the case is that at the Dawn, Hrestol while still
> appearing for all intents and purposes a dogmatic Brithini has long been
> having intense spiritual doubts and the Pendali War crystalized those
> doubts into the Revelation of Joy.

Hrestol was born in the darkness, and the doubts were natural. But being encapsulated by his father's power, protected by wizards in contact with the Zzabur, surrounded by protective Horali, he knew no other Truth. They contributed to the Icebreak, a Zzabur spell. It worked, for them.

Xemela's guidance and protection, of using logic to sort out the deaths and their cures (including commanding or working with all kinds of demons) reinforced a conflict between the inflexible Zzabur Way and the adaptable Malkioni Way (including Solace.)

It is unsettled whether Hrestol was born before Xemela sacrificed herself (sacrifice = Malkioni way) or after (!). [i.e. I don't know]

So whether a particular Malkioni
> is mortals or not depends on how they felt about Malkion and how much
> they wanted to curry favour with their Brithini rulers.

that conflict is a key thread in the early history of Seshnela, btw.

But here is the additional point:

Whatever worship was performed by Hrestol and his father, they had personally known or met nonhuman beings. The Aldryami were regular visitors to the fortress of Froawal, with very, very old cooperation between them (and nearby city states, especially Neleswal. They knew of Seshnela, and her earthly court.

"A colossus seemed to slowly moved through the wall, stretching the stone as it came forward. First, twenty feet above, the heads of the East and West Serpents, each the size of a house, with jade pupils in obsidian eyes, glancing all about over the heads of her beings. Then her knees, with Beezil perched on one, each touching, as were ankles; with a dress draped over all but her toes. Her hand, beringed, and arms, then breasts, face and magnificent head, crowned with the Huraka crown. How long it was I could never tell. It seemed both endless and over quickly, but always, upon exiting the cave, I found much time had passed. When she was entirely free, a huge being of natural living rock, she would slowly turn her head over us all, raise a hand in benediction, and then ask Lord of Tongues to speak."

They knew of the Great Gods, and the lesser ones. Worship?
Is bringing regular gifts to Seshnela, including things of power and sacrifice, worship?

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer