Re: Hrestol's knighthood initiation

From: David Cake <dave_at_2k9l_3Gy9WzzHmn8OliNJxku_IamyIFIGsp20tUX--JQPaQrPszQyCp4Eezj-B1aJisODtJ>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 09:48:06 +0800

At 9:13 AM +1300 30/10/10, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>On 10/30/2010 4:10 AM, David Cake wrote:

>>> That was _after_ Hrestol's revelation, and a result of it.
>
>> The Seshnelan Kings list says rather that
>>> [...] Early fatalities caused the people to adopt divine
>>> worship, and they sacrificed to Seshna, Worlath, and others. His
>>> wife, daughter and two sons were all fatalities.
>
>> which to me pretty clearly implies that Froalar (but not his
>> wizards) was already indulging in theist shenanigans before the Dawn,
>
>That "the people" worshipped is not the same thing as Froalar worshipping.

        Well, weren't we discussing whether or not the Seshnegi as a whole were henotheist at the Dawn? So far we have 'the people' worshipping divine beings at the Dawn, and the Kings doing so within 2 years of the Dawn, and only the sorcerers clearly resisting.

        So the answer seems to be 'yes, with some slight qualification'. I'm not sure the slight qualifications are worth quibbling over. Even if we ignored the reference to the people adopting pagan worship, the original question was about the Dawn Ages, and it certainly seems like Seshnegi henotheism, regardless of its exact extent pre-Dawn, was in full swing very early in the Dawn Ages.

> > FWIW, I think that it sounds very reasonable that Hrestols
>> rift with his divine stepmother that results in his exile is a result
>> of his revelation, but I don't know of any evidence that suggests
>> that the marriage was a result of it - rather, the I take it
>> ultimately as Froalars reaction to the death of Xemela, as the Kings
>> list suggests.
>
>In the Book of Kings, after Hrestol killed Pendal he was trapped in the
>Otherside. Froalar went to make peace with Seshna, the mother of the
>Pendali and had to agree to marry her and exile Hrestol. That's where
>the Paganism came from.

        Ah, thank you for that info, Peter. Very valuable. I appreciate you sharing.

        Unpublished sources strike again, but that is good news, because that is one step closer to published.

        Though perhaps paganism had already begun to take hold among the lower castes prior to Froalars marriage, as implied by the earlier quote? Froalar was perhaps forced to acknowledge a goddess whose worship had already begun amongst the lower castes?

        I, for one, am really looking forward to knowing more about Hrestols saga when the time comes.

	Cheers
		David