Re: Hrestol's knighthood initiation

From: Jeff <richaje_at_TUTGAoJtTmLi0kZa-GAvaoy1Rr55J9V4RX2fjgCioJfrN0dpbZ71aSjrDoH5fbvU6Tln>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 08:52:44 -0000

> Well, weren't we discussing whether or not the Seshnegi as a
> whole were henotheist at the Dawn? So far we have 'the people'
> worshipping divine beings at the Dawn, and the Kings doing so within
> 2 years of the Dawn, and only the sorcerers clearly resisting.
> So the answer seems to be 'yes, with some slight
> qualification'. I'm not sure the slight qualifications are worth
> quibbling over. Even if we ignored the reference to the people
> adopting pagan worship, the original question was about the Dawn
> Ages, and it certainly seems like Seshnegi henotheism, regardless of
> its exact extent pre-Dawn, was in full swing very early in the Dawn
> Ages.

More a case where henotheism coexists with traditional polytheism and despite the objections of the henotheist wizards (who may acknowledge the various demons worshipped by the population but consider them decidedly inferior to the Creator). Most people deal with the magical entities of the world in whatever way works, be that spirit-worship, divine cults, or passed down philosophies. After the Dawn, Hrestol's Men of All have a new, invigorating spiritual path that opens up new possibilities for those capable of following it.

> >In the Book of Kings, after Hrestol killed Pendal he was trapped in the
> >Otherside. Froalar went to make peace with Seshna, the mother of the
> >Pendali and had to agree to marry her and exile Hrestol. That's where
> >the Paganism came from.

That's where the big Seshna cult in Seshnela came from - but I do not believe the Dawn Age Malkioni used the term "paganism" to describe divine or spirit worship. During the Ice Age, people treated with any magical entity they could in order to survive - including the Malkioni of Neleoswal and Frowal.

The Serpent Kings worshiped Seshna and her cult was rich and powerful. Meanwhile the wizards regained contact with the zzaburi of Brithos and sought a return to the Law. And the Men of All continued on the path of Hrestol. The first couple of centuries were a bizarre mix of polytheism, henotheism, and even monotheism (reminiscent of the intellectual richness of various Hellenistic centers in the Orient), all co-existing but with increasing instability.

Ultimately, the Men of All and the Malkioni wizards put an end to this instability with the True Hrestoli Way and the end of the Serpent Kings.

Jeff