Re: Seshnegi Questions

From: David Cake <dave_at_d8dvngRl0eZmHco38O81skaFavR_l-VpUixkQk02HWXMLoRJkh4Ui6lDmNSAGwf_2Li__VA>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 20:44:07 +0800

At 8:39 AM +0000 5/11/10, Jeff wrote:
> > Personally, I'd suspect that the Men of All did ride around
>> on horses, but proper heraldry and proper lance combat were later
>> developments. This was the First Age, things weren't fancy. More a
>> guy on a horse with a personal insignia on his shield (not yet part
>> of a formalised system of heraldry), and a big spear. Something like
>> a Roman cavalry two handed contos perhaps, rather than the under arm
>> couched lance of medieval Europe (I see that as more a Second Age
>> development, but I could be wrong).
>
>Possibly not even that organized. Remember, these are very small
>groups at the Dawn. If we say that Frowal had 1500 people at the
>Dawn, then we are dealing with maybe a dozen to a score of the Men
>of All. Of course they are fighting against equally small groups of
>Pendali.

        I think it pretty likely that they had both horses and long pointy sticks to poke people not on horses with. But yeah, maybe not even shield insignia (given they pretty much could recognise everybody).

> > As Jeff points out, the Dawn age Dronan were not fast when carrying a
>> mounted warrior, but certainly could. I'm guessing on mounted
>> warriors being pretty much always a major factor in Western armies,
>> but the full on lance charging cataphract style only really emerging
>> in the Second age with the breeding of Fronan horses.
>
>Slow moving, heavy cavalry probably appeared in the late First Age
>(perhaps during the Silver Empire, perhaps later). These bands of
>the Men of All were elite shock troops that hammered their enemies
>in conjunction with hrolar archers.

	Yes, I think the first heavy cavalry was pretty slow moving.
	Anyone know when the Fronan chargers appeared exactly?

> But I agree with David that the heyday of the Western cataphractoi
>was the Second Age with the Middle Sea Empire and their Fronan
>chargers.

        Though the modern Loskalm knights have access to even better Swadal mounts, and will probably be the most impressive mounted cavalry Glorantha has ever seen (which obviously, they are going to need against the Kingdom of War).

	Cheers
		David