Re: Another go at mythic "chronology"

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_nSvntlIt1iolscHQ1GOlhJU23zIZf_AHLrxwVu4t8TNN286g08JiCvatGhfVdCKssVh>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 10:39:40 +1300

On 11/7/2010 9:54 AM, hcarteau_at_1-S-ouBmpyMyayt7NwAk9DOZ28CUErcYBNryck6oJC7MH3t5m8kUDXydXOxfkhLnqq9Gbw2O6AglCg.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Now my question is : when does the destuction of the Spike fit ? I know it's
> after Yelm's Death, when chaos invasion was at its worst. I'm begining to
> suspect it happened relatively shortly before the Dawn. What do you say ?

A question which has multiple answers.

  1. It would had to have happened before 110,666 YS which is the proper start of history. Conventionally I would date the Spike Destruction to 110,179 YS which is when Shargash is said to have destroyed the World (which is also attributable to Zzabur and Pamalt in Revealed Mythologies).
  2. The Plentonic dating scheme is a big lie. Plentonius made it up from a single line of poetry that gave a nice big round figure for the length of the Great Darkness. The destruction of the spike can only be placed relatively to other events (the Heortlings think the period was four or five generations long, the Vithelans go to the other end and talk about ten billion years).
  3. The destruction of the Spike is a big lie. The God Learners created the Spike from their many stories about the Cosmic Mountain because they failed to recognize that there were many Spikes (Mount Kerofin, Thakarn in Jrustela, Bandaku in Fonrit, Imadelash in Teleos). Some were destroyed utterly while others simply lost their connection to the Cosmic Council.
  4. There are two mountains that could possibly be the Cosmic Mountain in Peloria. The first is Mount Elvitos in what is now Lake Oronin. This was destroyed during the Flood (YS 100173-100200) by Oronin who was later killed by YarGan.

The second mountain stood on what is now the Hungry Plateau. On top of it was Senthoros. It was destroyed by Gerendetho who made the Jord Mountains in the process. No dating is given for it in the myth that we have but Senthoros is possibly the city that was burned down by Ravankeg the Joker after Ovosto's death which would date the destruction to YS 100165.

--Peter Metcalfe