Re: Another go at mythic "chronology"

From: hcarteau_at_VdMpPkrQSH9D71NL7MLNhfxEJ4wmUq43K1gdzNQBwiDq-yH8ZSN6PCvemPmnE471Pnq
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 23:06:57 +0100

Selon Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_BZQHyKwlzOZ-OMLg316ttIqvII7mO5nFBV6WXWvCrTJMFuDpU_mnAcTYa6Cl_qeSXzA_yAFkNrKKnat7ZgjU-PaknTY.yahoo.invalid>:

> Now my question is : when does the destuction of the Spike fit ?
A question which has multiple answers.
/// Good. My favourite ones do.

> 1) It would had to have happened before 110,666 YS which is the proper
> start of history. Conventionally I would date the Spike Destruction to
> 110,179 YS which is when Shargash is said to have destroyed the World
> (which is also attributable to Zzabur and Pamalt in Revealed Mythologies).
/// So that's your classical answer. It does mean the chaos age was (relatively) short-lived, much shorter than I thought. Not that people could have withstood such a "life" much longer anyway.

> 2) The Plentonic dating scheme is a big lie. Plentonius made it up
> from a single line of poetry that gave a nice big round figure for the
> length of the Great Darkness. The destruction of the spike can only be
> placed relatively to other events (the Heortlings think the period was
> four or five generations long, the Vithelans go to the other end and
> talk about ten billion years).

/// Ah, so "shorter than I thought" isn't that evident then. But DH and heortling myths do fit relatively well. As for vithelans, perhaps time flows differently there, or they measure "years" differently (ie one season = one year).

> 3) The destruction of the Spike is a big lie. The God Learners created
> the Spike from their many stories about the Cosmic Mountain because they
> failed to recognize that there were many Spikes (Mount Kerofin, Thakarn
> in Jrustela, Bandaku in Fonrit, Imadelash in Teleos). Some were
> destroyed utterly while others simply lost their connection to the
> Cosmic Council.

/// THAT is double plus good. Indeed, there are many Cosmic mountains, one for each culture in fact. There never was an adamant spike holding the universes together !!! But then where does the Cube in Prax come from ? It IS truestone after all.

> 4) There are two mountains that could possibly be the Cosmic Mountain
> in Peloria. The first is Mount Elvitos in what is now Lake Oronin.
> This was destroyed during the Flood (YS 100173-100200) by Oronin who was
> later killed by YarGan.

/// So that'd be close to "the" Spike's destruction.

> The second mountain stood on what is now the Hungry Plateau. On top of
> it was Senthoros. It was destroyed by Gerendetho who made the Jord
> Mountains in the process. No dating is given for it in the myth that we
> have but Senthoros is possibly the city that was burned down by Ravankeg
> the Joker after Ovosto's death which would date the destruction to YS
> 100165.

/// I thought the hungry plateau was another part of the Blue Moon's body.