Re: Another go at mythic "chronology"

From: Osentalka <Osentalka_at_cj174teOg8p1Ye5FVo5LG6HX9lLAj26qo-7I9YpJSbONmYUJjDZ4X9cxK2rnabHiav>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 09:55:09 +0100

Gift / Poison in German

That is NOT a mistranslation:

A messenger was offered a cut of wine when he arrived at his destination. That cup of wine was most of the time a gift to the messenger (something he got to express that he was welcome), but at some occasion he was given instead a cup of poisoned wine, to show that he wasn´t welcome. So the gift / poison translation is a well tought over one. So true... :-)

  Selon julianlord <julian.lord_at_inhDs9gAzg-weHmZ5ZMxYkbwhTahFxVHkmo-AIiRsLxudKEojgzE8dRJpj1TnJCZxbs7YYtYcfZBiA8.yahoo.invalid>:

  It's certainly a fact that the GLs conflated a great number of cosmic
> mountain stories from various mythologies with "The" Cosmic Mountain of the
> Inner World, ie The Spike -- but it's just as true that such a singular
> mountain did in fact physically exist in an earlier period of the Inner
> World.

  /// This is also what I think. The Spike is a core element of Glorantha, and its   presence and destruction did have an impact on all cultures, even those who   barely knew of it (such as Dara Happa).

> "The" Cosmic Mountain was "The" Source of all cosmic mountain stories. This
  was wrong, but it was required of their magical methods, and the related magic   *worked*.
  /// (in character) It didn't "work", oh you blind, stumbling heretic. Sorcery IS   Creation, as ordained by God. It's the only reasonable, logical way to work with

> The origin of Magasta's Pool is a Spike myth, and is a part of merman
> mythology.

  /// Right now, I can't remember how mermen do explain the origin of Magasta's   Pool. Isn't it an incarnation of Magasta itself ?

> Various magical catastrophes described in GRoY *could* potentially be
> linked with the destruction of "The" Cosmic Mountain ; which is of course
> _exactly_ what the GLs did themselves ; but there is no reason to suppose
> that any such links to external, non-Dara Happan histories and myths should
> be fully relevant to the traditional DH timelines, nor to simply assume that
> such and such individual catastrophe in DH mythology should have been even
> *caused* by the destruction of the Spike.
  /// I am a Godlearner and do try to correlate pre-dawn myths, mostly western,   DH, Blue Moon and Darkness (the orlanthi barbarians are but a footnote in the   Great Story). I love doing this, out of sheer intellectual pleasure. Long live   the Monomyth, Glory to Makan. And keep the curtains drawn so the peasants   outside don't suspect what I'm working on.

> "Various cosmic destructions occurred in Godtime, providing various magical
> catastrophes," as a completely vague generalisation, is probably the closest
> that you can get to any kind of general truth in this affair ;)
  /// (in character) Such a statement is another sad example about Man, God's most   perfect creature, limiting His knowledge, censoring Himself, staying puny and   fractious. We GL did rise Man far above this sorry state. (don't start about the   final results, please ;-)

  BTW, do you know that "Gift" means "Poison" in German ? This is another example   of mis-translation. The Gift Carriers are in fact bearers of poison, the most   powerful and insidous poison of all : the poison of ignorance. It is even today   still poured down men's throats by smelly pagans and stupid heretics...