Re: Spiking the spikes

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_6uQ4lq9D_ArdhvmjbdOiGHXx8P_YxMVXzqVLw9anBCkbadkdTb_4fIEb9kqsHyQbuKY>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 14:17:01 -0500

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_OUUIjaBYgr2N83qpQgwp_4kgkYcfazV7PF1ISa-HqRNuB_Jd24QvuClOgR05glc4WFlYSJ-jdZFvyXbV-YofS7UCr-0.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

> On 11/9/2010 9:23 PM, hcarteau_at_84Md29UfgnnpYBoX0S6LMGVmKyRdWgiTYCRv6g-Xi-7JvIk-VcoM3ciUpZuON21s-2TeeNqc.yahoo.invalid <hcarteau%40free.fr> wrote:
>
> /// So what would be the malkioni Spike ?
> Danmalastan would be my guess.

The question itself is a bit misleading. Asking about a "Malkioni" Spike is a bit like asking for a "theist" spike or an "animist" spike. Just as there are several local Spike analogs in Genertelan cultures there were probably several local Spike analogs in the west - we just don't know enough about the cultures that lived there to say.

One candidate might be the Citadel of Thought / Castle of Logic. I haven't seen it described as a mountain, but it may well have been a "Shining City on a Hill" or some such. It may not even be necessary that it be a mountain to fulfill that particular mythic role. We don't really know what happened there during the Fifth Action (Greater Darkness) other than the area was overrun by Vadeli. I can certainly imagine a big boom story about the Vadeli siege of the Castle of Logic.

Another might be Mt. Ladaral which was flooded when the Neliomi Sea was created. It's about in the right place to be Brithos, although I don't exactly know what that implies other than an explanation for the fog shrouded waters surrounding the place.

Finally, I doubt that Danamalastan was the flat featureless place that it appears to be on the existing mythic maps of the West. Lack of evidence isn't evidence of lack. It just means that there is a lot of room for development still to be done.

-Kevin McD