Re: Spiking the spikes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_cNc2GsmEqVGBdv6VTqOEu0_m9S6VFNvFKNfPiTICupOHP7S3cziQPMIdu6MeZADU3JE>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:39:47 +1300

On 11/11/2010 6:51 AM, Kevin McDonald wrote:
> You are correct about the culture vs magic system point. My bad. What
> I was
> getting at is that there are a nice variety of Northern/theist
> cultures with
> different origin stories. It would be nice if there were multiple
> Western/sorcerous ones too. Gloranthan cultures all seem to have founding
> stories that explain all of the other cultures that they interact with.
Except that the Spike isn't an origin story but a tale about the Centre of the World. Danmalastan fulfils that role in Malkioni Mythology regardless of how many Malkioni cultures there were.

> Back to the main point. I think calling the peoples of Western Glorantha a
> single culture may be taking it too far.
Mythically they were one culture that became many as a result of the schisms and splits caused by the Gods War.
> In our world there are many
> cultures with Indo-European roots. After millennia of separation their
> similarities are only apparent to scholars. Most people don't think the
> classic Norse, Persian, and Indian cultures were similar, but they have
> common roots and share elements of religion and language if you know where
> to look.

Except the original speakers of the Indo-European language did have a common culture and that corresponds to the first period (Green Age, Creation Cycle, First Action etc) of gloranthan mythologies

--Peter Metcalfe