Calendars, Calendars

From: illuminate33 <inarsus-ferilt_at_LKhsL-MZD87ixN4AWzMGMomiGTKkOlLluWlCclgOKiTL7N4hAOwoXyo-RuCBY>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 03:13:31 -0000

Hello:

Several questions below are from my current meddling with the Gloranthan Calendars: some might not have any right answers (Like about the Uz concept of Calendar), just let me point out about this topic.

1)Winter Solstice: See the "Files" in this mailing list, the holiday of Rigsdal is different from the Winter Solstice in "Under the Red Moon". If I understand correctly, Winter Solstice is universal thus presumably UtRM is wrong and the Thunder Rebels is right, but I cannot find the errata of the book.

2)Twenty-Eight Days and Sacred Time: All communal worshippers in Orlanthi Society at least attend (and spend) 10% time of a year, "Thunder Rebels" describes the detail of the 10%. One of my Japanese friends once asked me if the 28 days include the Sacred Time 14 days.

I answered him that it doesn't include Sacred Time because the Sacred Time is outside of the ordinary year of 280 days. But I could not convince him because the holidays of the Orlanth and Ernalda are only 20 days. (For an orthodox, "diligent", secular Japansese, Heortlings should be labelled as "lazy people" by their 42(28+14) of holidays...)

3)Uz Calendar, Battle of Night and Day: In older literature of the Troll materials, Uz uses "Theyalan Calendar" for their mapping of the holidays. Aside from the debate it is still valid in the current Glorantha universe (Was it the World Council of Friends influential enough to let them accept their calendar?), what makes me nervous is that their concept of Night and Day.

As Stellar FAQ (http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/stellar-faq.html) told us that in the mapping of Theyalan Calendar, "it count their days from the previous dusk." If so, how about the nocturnal people?

What makes more confusion is that the Troll Gods tells that the holiest night of Kyger Litor has continued from Dark Season / Disorder Week / Godsday, it ends with the dusk of the Dark Season / Harmony Week / Freezeday. If that is true, how about the other holidays? Drastic Resolution: Darkness tells that the holiest night is special, but leave me some doubts.

If I understand correctly, the holiest night is different from other holy nights of Uz which is performed the night following the sun shining times. For example, Dark Season / Death Week / Freezeday is Zorak Zoran's holiest night. After the dusk (end of day) of Dark Season / Death Week / Freezeday for Heortling People, the bloody ritual and ambush of Humakti starts. Humakti must be cautious against their ambush in the night of Dark Season / Death Week / Waterday for Heortlings.

Sincerely:
Terra Incognita