Re: Holy numbers (and bad ones)

From: ryancaveney_at_Ci2m1orDH0FoOnXziLgEDrPVkZ-AjkwPUvL9GLWdyiKlgAHlKL0Jy1mramj2x6t0
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:51:40 -0800 (PST)

An Orlanthi weaponthane has four storms, and Heler is one of Orlanth's four storms, so four or five (four thanes plus the king) could be good for a Helering.  The four storms seem to correspond to the four magic weapons, but there are also two hidden winds (above and below) which leads to six (the six directions/defenders) or seven (those six plus the center/inner direction) total.  I like seven, in three steps: 4, then 2, then 1, representing the standard supporters, then the special supporters, then the whole which they support.  I can give the same thing a Lightbringer gloss using helper gods (LM, CA, Issaries and Eurmal), helper specials (Flesh Man and Ginna Jar) and the leader (Orlanth, again, is #1).  A perhaps more GL-ish take on the Lightbringer division into 4+2+1 is those who seek to restore what others have taken from them (LM, CA, Issaries, FM), those who seek to undo the damage they have caused
(Orlanth and Eurmal (under protest)), and the unknown/uniting spirit of them all
(GJ).  Ernalda has ten servants, and both Umath and Orlanth assigned ten
officers to run the camp, so ten could also be a fair choice, but I prefer seven.

All the above is generic Orlanthi, however.  I don't have a good handle on specifically Helering or Water-centric holy numbers, which is what I would recommend you consider: Helerings healing by pouring water on things is an excellent idea, but doesn't really strike me as a standard Orlanthi approach.  Here's a water idea: use the myth of Engizi washing away Korang the Slayer with the pure water of his own blood.  It's specific to Dragon Pass, but it does provide a really good source for three being the holy number (the Creek, the Stream and the River, working together to treat the world-wound chaos has caused).

Ryan Caveney