Re: Alphabets (was: Holy numbers (and bad ones))

From: Santo Sengupta <aumshantih_at_-sEk_5VXH5fjR4UnRK5OY3bafE-LfzIzFIa0PZ3uTu1CBTN3X0FNyYEApPBD8GIys>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:24:20 -0500

Namaste:

In Glorantha with the preponderance of Runes, I see most cultures using certain subsets/variations of them as a "alphabet". Certain cultures are entirely idiographic (Kralori), while I am sure there is a Western Alphabet probably designed by Zzaburi that is in common use.

Similarly, I see most major world cultures that have a god of Knowledge/Literacy having their own writing system and myths related to it.  And there is a great deal of magic associated with writing. We can look at historical constructed languages as an example. I am sure the God Learners and EWF did some very interesting things during their heyday with language (Tradetalk, anyone?). And there is whole example of Great Sister rekindle the Lunar Faith during the worst of the Seleran Occupation by preaching in New Pelorian, which was first revealed by the Red Goddess.

Thank you for the story regarding East Isles writing - it's been a while since I read it and bring back pleasant nostalgia.

-Santo
aum shanti shanti shantih.
"The world is like the impression left by the telling of a story." - from the Yoga Vāsiṣṭha