Re: S:KoH Nandan?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_5f71c9VwhLvzUGAPueVkuMWlK8njn5G1x1vOrXsyltUtVMINHzGMuZcQ-_yM0k4c2>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:47:02 -0800

YGWV On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM, julianlord <julian.lord_at_oIvSXf7i8QZhCFP5qAsVKT5C-QsuMV_5uSkB7Sac96PE3rzx2EvmOKZXLaL2-cIlbsEvOUlFekPI2l8.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> One thing is clear though, the question is complex, moreso than can be
> properly expressed in the space that has been devoted to it in official
> publications, and it is unlikely ever to be fully explained in future
> official publications either. Nor likely even in these lists.

The entire discussion of Nandan, Vinga and Heler is fraught with touchiness due to the nature of many people's unease about sexuality at all. I know what I know, and I know what I have written about Glorantha. However, it's your game and you and your players must be comfortable. that is, ygwv.

> Yes there are people who are left out by this reality, but that doesn't
> mean they're left out by the culture.

Correct.
Mythology is not dogmatic, and when it becomes such, it stops being a living force. It becomes only stories, or even worse, "One True Way."

I recall the distress that I provoked with the plethora of gods and goddess in ST etc . Those lists of deities are not intended to be either definitive nor absolute. Some of them are simply intended to show some variation of worship among the people. No Sartar tribe worships all the deities. And i would bet that in every tribe there is at least one god or goddess (probably many more) that is enirely unknown elsewhere.

And it's certainly permissible for them to marry Vingans and whatnot
> besides...

If "whatnot" means men then I agree.
However, I would not include among "whatnot" animals, the dead, trees, broos, and much else.

> My basic point being really, that whilst the very nature of divine worship
> among the Orlanthi *does* encourage conformity and identity with the
> preponderant stereotypes,

This is the cart before the horse.
 "the very nature of conformity and identity *does* encourage divine worship among the Orlanthi with the preponderant stereotypes."

Orlanthi do not *HAVE* to adhere to the most idealistic expression of the
> cults that they belong to, with some notable exceptions (Eurmal, Humakt,
> Chalana spring to mind), and they usually have plenty of wiggle room to make
> their own comfortable living space.

Yes

--
Greg Stafford