Re: Access to healthcare in Glorantha (was 'SKoH: Nandan')

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_dXkfixI65z83-MT9xAiD-NBRpDcSkh0G-4WniF2U0MpsDbgIxzAIDMDXKjjELHVXm>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 07:09:49 -0800

YGWV On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_OTJun4SwyWENp2FrOqC964kSAExbj_i6QhgVAZ7wp0Ox-hH1bmXW2Xur1Wia2y3KzHjWBzfQpW18XlbkswlPpTA.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

> On the subject of access to the most powerful healing magic being limited,
> does anyone remember the passage in "Things that love night", (a short story
> about a Lhankor Mhy private detective in Pavis, serialised in TotRM 12-14
> (or similar)), in which the hero goes to the Chalana Arroy Temple in Pavis
> to ask for a fallen comrade to be resurrected?

As I recall, a tale which is quite noncanonical.

> How different, if at all, is the current thinking on the availability of
> advanced healing?

Since I do not recall the details, I am unable to tell how different it is. But in general, in my Glorantha, the greater the healing required, the more rare it is. resurection, the ultimate healing, is very, very, very rare. Full body healing, from the brink of utter destruction, and reattaching limbs, are very, very rare; and healing multiple wounds at once, haling bones (instead of just muscle and other soft tissue) is very hard. Normal healing is just hard.

Whilst we are on the subject of Nandan, are we any nearer estabilshing
> whether Nandan cultists are "men doing women's work" or "women trapped in
> men's bodies"? Or are there some of each?

Both

> (Presumably there are no more Nandani in Sartar than there are Tricksters
> (possibly less), but the Nandani are much more socially acceptable).

Eurmali and Nandani are equally acceptable in Sartar society.

I haven't had the benefit of reading SKoH, but what I (possibly imperfectly)
> remember from Hero Wars was that other Orlanthi perceive Nandani as "men
> doing women's work", but the Nandani's secret is that actually they are
> "women trapped in men's bodies".
>
> Is it still true? (if it ever was?)

It was never true, as a secret.

> Also I vaguley recall Jeff saying (and if I have misquoted or misunderstood
> you, please accept my apologies and set the record straight) that the
> simplest explanation of Vinga is that Vinga is "How women worship Orlanth"
> (I think the post dated from when Vinga was not written up in great detail
> in the first HQ book about Sartar).
>
> By analogy, if one had to define the Nandani in one sentence, could one say
> Nandan is "How men worship Ernalda"?

Yes, and it is every bit as true as the statement about Vinga you make. But in truth, many Vingans consider themselves to be men trapped in a woman's body. Ohers are women doing mens work.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer