Re: Unmanageable healers

From: ryancaveney_at_LCNc8qX5b-GEmRQezscYORTZWB9ohrcJ6m-JZ-dtj_PvRa0NexgUG0GwKIlvRQHT
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:51:36 -0800 (PST)

"hcarteau_at_hjvNJ9GICBe3BFqZQTFKpe0HOrADWYkWYUJxY_teCsoLyeWKk03lU_5iPKWcUUPcmxsCPmbZx0Yg2w.yahoo.invalid" wrote:
> That is truely excellent. I love your story ! This is living, breathing folks
> trying to deal with their own mess. Thanks for sharing this with us !
> Who's the GM who puts you guys to such difficulties? Bravo to him!

Me, actually. =) I just now invented this scenario in order to give you a specific example of the problem, and give a personal Orlanthi reply to your personal Orlanthi offer of support. However, should I ever get to run the campaign I have in mind, I will now definitely include this episode. Thank you for inspiring my tale, and for praising it; it's my pleasure to share.

>> "Giving aid and comfort to the enemy" is treason.
> I'm not of that opinion and that's where you clan problem is.

I was quoting the U.S. Constitution, which defines treason in exactly those words. Australia, Canada and New Zealand all include very similar language in their legal definitions of treason, which reflect a common original source -- England's Treason Act of 1351. I'm certainly not claiming that Orlanthi follow anything like medieval English common law, but I do think that idea is an important component of how many people think about betrayal, and why I personally don't trust people who want to heal *everything* any more than I trust people who want to hurt everything. In my opinion, it's Chalana Arroy's certitude and wounded judgement that need healing, not Humakt's and Orlanth's.

> She can always say she follows her Goddess' will and
> nobody can prove that. Your Lawspeaker will confirm this.

When a Eurmali does the same thing and the chief kills him for it, the whole clan cheers. When a Humakti does the same thing and has to be killed to stop the damage, the whole clan breathes a sigh of relief. When a Chalana Arroy devotee heals a mortally wounded person she knows is an enemy warrior, who then returns to battle and kills her friends and relatives in an entirely predictable fashion, it's the healer's fault. What do you do? You can't kill her, even though she's just as dangerous. So what's left? Tying her up seems a very minor transgression in comparison.

Ryan