Re: Unmanageable healers

From: ryancaveney_at_5Y2iIqIxOY9PWODbRLpKCvzy-kd50ehXqidk5nv70zSQpfEmJIdt_TCRSwnbvXN5
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:23:52 -0800 (PST)

Jeff Richards wrote:
> Most Orlanthi clans love their Chalana Arroy priestess, despite the nuisances.

I think most, perhaps nearly all, Orlanthi clans don't have a Chalana Arroy priestess.  Probably even most Peace Clans don't.  Not only are they a nuisance to the clan, the clan is a nuisance to them!  Far better for them to be wandering healers or busy themselves at a central hospital temple, where the only people they ever meet are those who are glad to see them do their favorite work all day long.  Everyday life in one clan just doesn't generate enough need for healing for them to feel fulfilled in their life's work: trauma surgeons need to hang out in places where the badly wounded congregate, or they get very bored just soothing sprained ankles and splinters.  If you are content to heal people only part of the time, and the rest of the time weave cloth or herd sheep while waiting for someone to get hurt or sick, you join Bevara or Heler or some other part-time healing cult, not the cult which is obsessed with healing and only healing, all day every day.

> Pregnant women, children, the elders, wounded warriors
> - everyone needs Chalana Arroy at some point

This is not true.  Everyone needs healing, but not everyone needs Chalana Arroy to provide it.  The only people who strictly need her are those who seek resurrection for their already dead, or are otherwise assembling a Lightbringer's Quest (in which case they also need a Eurmali, who it sometimes seems to me actually fit better into normal Heortling society than do CA pacifists).  Anyone who is still alive can find healing through many other cults.  As Greg said, "Bevara springs to mind as a far, far superior healing cult... more flexible and useful."  I wholeheartedly agree.

Ryan