Re: Unmanageable healers

From: David Cake <dave_at_Auwo7gkiTcuXXEGj2PwUDag2MQx4nKpQ086As-lnAFEfSp4UUiiHo7DtEwvaXxCFlS4xl7f>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:57:28 +0800

At 10:58 AM +0000 24/11/10, Jeff wrote:
>> > I'm not of that opinion and that's where you clan problem is.
>> I'm certainly not claiming that Orlanthi follow
>> anything like medieval English common law, but I do think that idea is an
>> important component of how many people think about betrayal, and why I
>> personally don't trust people who want to heal *everything* any more than I
>> trust people who want to hurt everything. In my opinion, it's
>>Chalana Arroy's
>> certitude and wounded judgement that need healing, not Humakt's
>>and Orlanth's.
>
>Normal Orlanthi agree that the followers of Chalana Arroy are
>extremists, problematic, and unreasonable in their rigid devotion to
>her extremely difficult code. However, she is tolerated and loved
>because she heals ANYTHING - which is of course the flip side of her
>extreme methods.

        The link between Chalana Arroy and Storm Bull is perhaps in part because, despite being in many ways opposites, they understand one another. Both have dedicated themselves to doing what they do to a level that they are outside the normal social roles, and MUST at times offend against the wishes of their clan and family. Chalana Arroy will not just heal enemies and protect their lives, waste their best magic on outcasts, interfere with the missions of the warriors etc but ignore the express desires of their clan to do so, perhaps even betray their clan. They transgress the rules of their society just as much as the Storm Bulls do. I imagine some warriors (especially Humakti) are just as keen to have a Chalana Arroy around as the women of the tribe usually are to have Storm Bulls around. Sure, they acknowledge healers are necessary - but a healer who kept to their place might be even better.

        For Chalana Arroy, "violence is never an option". That goes against one of the most fundamental tenets of Orlanthi society, and is no small issue.

	Cheers
		David