Re: Unmanageable healers

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_m0LUnRgkHgPI3Lvl6suVECPQSUIcEDMKpe8mhcOVegao4p82K_kVKHe6beme7kUS>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:15:35 -0000

You're talking about the cult as a social institution, not everyone needs a Chalana Arroy cultist around all the time. However the actual process of healing in living things - all healing - is the work of Chalana Arroy. When a Broo is wounded, flees into the woods and hides while it recovers from it's injuries, Chalana Arroy is with it. This is the extent and meaning of her neutrality.

I think Gloranthans won't make a distinction between a natural process occurring on it's own such as a wound closing and healing over through normal healing, and that process being helped along by conciously directed magic, such as a healing spell. To them they are the same thing, the same force at work, but in the latter case it's being helped along a bit.

To my mind the distinction between Chalana Arroy and Bevara (on which I am no experts) is an exageration of the distinction between doctors and nurses. Chalana Arroy is the power of healing itself, while Bevara is the goddess of providing care to the sick. Chalana Arroy magic directly enhances the healing power of the body, while Bevaran magic makes the conditions more conducive for the healing power to act. Game mechanicaly the results are generaly the same, but socialy the two are very different. The power of Chalana Arroy is in that enemy warrior (or that Broo!) whether the priestess acts or not. Her calling to enhance that power, so how can she not do so in this case as much as any other? However for a Bevaran the calling is social in nature, and so will take place in the context of the social structure of the clan. I can imagine rare circumstances where a Bevaran might feel compelled to provide care for an enemy, but the conditions aren't likely to be very common.

Simon Hibbs