Rambling (was Re: Unmanageable disease)

From: fairbruk <kevin_at_gb-aDAvYE1wBKECnDat7ABeQ0eMEQIQaTba3q-IdHqu6jeb2JtSnxcx7asSQt-Zn_U03d9>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 18:50:09 -0000

And if you want you can go a long way down the rabbit hole.

Everything is a consequence (direct or indirect) of a magical action.

Which probably means we are not talking about genes guiding bodily growth, or variation in offspring.

Bodies grow the way the do because of the weight of myth and logic and spiritual guidance upon them

Children are probably still a mix of influences from mother and father, but perhaps its a matter of what the gods, spirits and logic (and perhaps even the parents directly) choose from what is within the parents. Where you were conceived and born affects the magical influences present. When you were born has different planets and stars and dates having an effect. Etc.

Do even the laws of evolution work in Glorantha - probably to the extent that the presence of more wayward deities, etc. is slowly weeded out. But mutation of DNA as a mechanism for variation? I doubt it.

Or go down another rabbit hole - what is the smallest organism? Well, it was either created that small, perhaps out of an odd sense of humour or strange purpose, or perhaps it was cursed to shrink, or perhaps chaos ate away its height. Which to my mind suggests there's probably nothing living smaller than what is visible to the naked eye because there's no mechanism for its creation (give or take perhaps a few mostali-created oddities).

And the above, to bring it back to the topic, doesn't leave much room for bacterial or viral disease.

Or another hole - would you really get beings that are recognisably human in Glorantha, or is it a convenient fiction that the dominant intelligent race is human (as opposed to probably humanoid due to creation effects) and has even vaguely similar "biology".

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_B6j6HTwyJhQQXJUL53Ss6LGgr8-UV069IZK3fP6qLJFeSn_nBWZ2dPjgkZ87qIgheIAgG72aCdAmkZSWHfB2C0ht.yahoo.invalid