Re: Interesting Rambling

From: donald_at_bMN9GOs0yc4RMavJwQlBOGwEOQOsoYv9strZ1S2jWXzQMKF4i4ZLvK0kz-dgcDyvk4erc
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 18:48:54 -0000

> [snip]
> >
> > would you really get beings that are recognisably human in Glorantha, or is it a
> > convenient fiction that the dominant intelligent race is human (as opposed to
> > probably humanoid due to creation effects) and has even vaguely similar
> > "biology".
> > /// You lost me there. Could you rephrase what you meant ?
> >

> I'll try. And of course I'm failing to write as a Gloranthan sage, so this is all wrong by definition.
> If we don't have a reason for DNA, we don't have a reason for cells as we understand them:
> though something similar probably makes a useful building block. If we don't have significant
> evolution effects we probably don't have any apparently pointless evolutionary hangovers
> such as an appendix (theories vary on this though). A baby in the womb will grow perhaps
> echoing how a "human" body was shaped by the gods, which is probably a bit different. And
> so on.

We don't know why Gloranthans appear to be like RW humans. Gloranthans have a variety of explanations of why they look as they do but many of those explanations boil down to 'because they do'. There may not be evolutionary reasons for apparently useless features of the body but there will be magical ones. I think there are minor differences between RW and Gloranthan humans but it is very much an area for YGWV and for most games they just don't matter.

> Thus you might wonder how it came to pass that a being created through long evolution and
> genetics came to look and function like a being created by the gods, spirits and logic.

The simplist explanation is that all the varieties of human in Glorantha take the form of the Man Rune. That's what determines whether you are human or not.

--
Donald Oddy