Rotting in Glorantha

From: hcarteau_at_fpEu7Mzg_Zbbu4dJQNPpCQGk1oG4xRssnS5Aegt5Bt7wM4KPphK5Nj-JSjLrBvNfT7R
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 22:24:27 +0100

Selon boztakang <danielmc_at_5gTuo7PKZ9fZM1w_StX4BASf0OxHlIDvaLeYiCxAFhG6-4KQhwbNna_dmB32MKe8hkZ9Tk9oqrA1.yahoo.invalid>:

/// First, thanks for the, if not beautiful, very picturesque story of uz
tapeworm(s). I shudder to the idea of a Swems priestess as a wife.

Rot has two primary sources - Mee Vorala and hungry darkness spirits called(conveniently) "Rots"

Mee Vorala causes fungal rots and slurries and many sorts of organic "decay" in addition to growing mushrooms and other more obvious manifestations. There are major schools of Troll cuisine (and brewery) based around the strange and alien magic of Mee Vorala, and her ability to transmute organic matter in strange and wonderful ways.
/// OK. Do we find Mee Vorala magics in Daylight or is it strictly a Dark thing
?

"Rots" are hungry darkness spirits that slowly consume organic materials. They are afraid of the Sun and Fire, so they dont like things that are burnt or dried out in the sun. Trolls understand the darkness and know how to shoo the Rots away from their food before eating, and how to deal with them afterwards. Humans dont know the charms for this, and usually just eat the rot spirits right along with their food. Obviously, the spirits then try to eat THEM from the inside out, causing all sorts of discomfort.
/// That is a "cool" way to integrate rotting in a magic world.

Most rots arn't very strong, and just cause a bit of bellyache or bloating. But some can be downright deadly.

Rots are also used in troll cuisine, but less so than Voralan magic because they actually consume part of the food instead of changing and adding to it.

/// Since you don't look squeamish and do not hesitate to use graphic details,
I'll add that rotting things also attract the spawn of Swems : grubs, maggots and larvae that seem to proliferate (both on animal and vegetal decaying matter). But they are a symptom, not a cause.